In 2017 we had an amazing group of guests who shared expert advice on such diverse topics as baking bread to sexual harasment to real solutions to environmental problems and well-known local ‘celebrities’ like Betty Porto and the 3 men who restored the Chevy Chase Country Club. This ‘Best Of’ episode will let you listen to a brief highlight from each of the following conversations:
Chevy Chase Country Club and golf course in Glendale and the surrounding community of homes were first developed in the mid 1920s. It was a showplace and a favorite destination in the area but after many changes of ownership from the mid- 90s to about 2010 it fell into a state of disrepair. In the early 2010s it went up for sale and there was a serious threat that a new owner would do something like put up condos or some other kind of facility that would change the whole feel of the area. And if that happened, it would end the nearly 90 year history of Chevy Chase Estates and the whole East Glendale area as everyone currently knows them. Fortunately, 3 men ‘won’ the right to restore what has been known as the ‘Jewel of the Canyon’ and despite heavy opposition have put a new shine on this ‘gem’. In this interview they give an in-depth look at the process they went through, the fears they had to overcome, how they respected the members of the community, listened to long-term members of the country club, and why they went through it all. Today, from the conference room at the Chevy Chase Country Club in Glendale, you’ll hear about:
- The 90+ year old female Country Club member from the 1960s they made sure could come to the ribbon-cutting ceremony.
- How the members’ feedback changed the plans for one part of the course and made it better.
- The difficulties and opposition that had to be overcome to do the restoration.
- Why they want a non-exclusive facility and want people from the community to be able to come there even if they aren’t a member.
- Some of the history of the area – Sycamore Canyon.
- How 3 friends can work together to make something happen that seemed impossible.
Personal Injury and Employment Issues, such as wrongful termination or sexual harassment, can be difficult to go through alone but can you really trust any attorney to do the right thing for you? Alex Mardirossian and Rami Hamoui let me dive into their motives for becoming attorneys and their approach to client representation in this podcast episode so that you can hear them and make up your own mind. Along the way they shared some very good advice on how to protect yourself in the event you ever have a car accident, or are wrongfully treated by an employer (including wrongful termination and sexual harassment situations). Today, from their office in Glendale, you’ll hear about:
- What famous case was the spark for their fascination with the field of law.
- The areas of law that most interested them in school, what areas they focus on now and why there is a difference between school subjects and law practice.
- Why is it better for you to have 2 lawyers working together for you rather than having just one represent you.
- The key actions to take to protect yourself in a hostile employment situation.
- 2 things you should remember to do if you ever have a car accident or any type of personal injury.
- Are dashcams worth investing in?
- My personal experiences in regards to personal injury situations and my candid opinions about emergency rooms, insurance companies, etc..
You don’t get to #1 on Yelp’s Top 100 Places to Eat in the U.S. by sitting on your butt. The story of Rosa Porto and Porto’s Bakery is legendary and the 3 Porto children have taken what their mother started and turned it into one of the most successful and beloved bakery chains in California. Betty Porto isn’t afraid of hard work and doesn’t hold back when asked for her opinions. She is the daughter of Rosa & Raul Porto, a co-owner and, as the Vice President of Community Relations, is the public face of this well-known SoCal bakery and cafe chain. Delicious items made with high quality ingredients, priced affordably for middle class families, is a principle that Porto’s operates on. The story everyone has heard was about their time in Cuba, their move to the U.S. and the start of Porto’s bakery – up to the success of the Glendale location. We’re going to continue the story from that point and find out more than you’ve ever heard before about what makes Porto’s so successful. On location at the Porto’s Bakery and Cafe in Downey, today you’ll hear about:
- What it took to go from one location to two and why that was the hardest thing they had to do. A great story and some great info for any businessperson or entrepreneur.
- The different parts of the bakeries, how they function separately and how they work together.
- The process for research, development and the roll-out of new items, seasonal items and holiday favorites.
- What you should do if you want to improve your baking skills when you just want to be an amateur baker.
- Betty’s advice for anyone who has a passion for cooking/baking and does want a culinary career.
- What women entrepreneurs need to do both personally and professionally to be successful.
- Lots of baking tips sprinkled throughout.
- Porto’s ongoing, consistent contribution to the homeless, children, the elderly – those in society who most need a hand.
Glendale – 315 N Brand Blvd, Glendale, CA 91203
Burbank – 3614 W Magnolia Blvd, Burbank, CA 91505
Downey – 8233 Firestone Blvd, Downey, CA 90241
Buena Park – 7640 Beach Blvd, Buena Park, CA 90620
If you think that inspecting 6000-7000 homes and 3000-4000 commercial buildings might give you a wealth of knowledge on every aspect of property structures and systems – you’d be right. And the person you’d be describing is Bob Pace. Bob not only realized that being in the construction profession was what he wanted to do in life at the age of 2-3, but he is one of a small handful of inspectors who have fulfilled the requirement of 4 years of experience under other people in 3 different trades. He has also done hands-on construction work in all the major areas of an inspection. He is always happy to share what he knows and takes the time to let me pick his brains. Whoever you are, whatever you do, this information will be valuable to know. Today you’ll hear about:
- A $35,000 mistake that a property buyer could have avoided.
- Is a general property inspection enough to find the major problems?
- How one property owner saved $20,000 to $30,000 from a simple suggestion.
- Why a commercial property lessee would want to do an inspection at the start of the lease?
- What is the one thing most multi-family and commercial property buyers want to know?
- A new type of inspection report that goes over current issues AND expected costs over the next 5 years.
A fearless entrepreneur who devotes time regularly to giving back to the community, Fred Babadjanians’ story encompasses basketball coaching, observing officials for the NBA, helping organize the annual Armenian Olympics. This is all in addition to running the Glendale computer, website design and social media marketing company he co-founded with his high school friend. Always willing to help others out and share the knowledge he’s gained from years of experience, you will get to hear some of his top advice in this very interesting interview. Today you’ll hear about:
- The top, avoidable computer problem and what you should do if you might be at risk.
- What computer operating system puts your financial information and assets at 100% risk.
- The 2 things that Google needs to see on your website to show it in search results.
- Social media marketing and how Fred’s 1st Facebook ad for a client brought in so much business the client said ‘please stop the ad!’.
- His ‘dream job’ with the NBA and the Lakers.
- Helping to organize the annual Armenian Olympics.
It takes a calm hand to get a resolution when there are people on opposite sides of a heated topic. John Juarez has spent most of his career helping others to resolve conflicts, starting with mediations done between employees and employers. He then used those skills to help those couples getting a divorce come to a fair resolution and agreement followed by a plan that takes them toward a new future pursuing their own individual goals. From his experience as a Financial Advisor and Divorce Financial Analyst he shares a better approach to handling a divorce, getting past the difficult times and moving into a new life. Today you’ll hear about:
- One major reason that separately owned real estate is later considered to be community property.
- How retirement funds have to be handled in specific ways as part of a settlement agreement so as to avoid surprise taxes later.
- Why you must use only family law attorneys when you seek help from a lawyer for divorce matters
- What circumstances require a bull-dog attorney.
- Why recording a podcast with a cat in the house can be hilarious
John Juarez at Edward Jones website
John Juarez Office Phone Number: (818) 507-0336
Edward Jones Glendale Office address:
700 N Brnad Blvd., Suite 450
Glendale, CA 91203
Finding actual, effective solutions for environmental problems such as oil spills and getting them implemented requires the ability to get past the two biggest barriers – polarization of the subject for purposes of political and financial gain, and false information – but Barbara and The Lawrence Anthony Earth Organization are making real progress in that direction where others have only tried and failed. Well-spoken and very knowledgeable, Barbara provides information that you probably won’t hear anywhere else about taking care of the ‘house’ we all share (Earth) and will have you saying, “finally, someone who makes sense”. Today you’ll hear about:
- How Lawrence Anthony’s love for animals led to him saving the Baghdad zoo during the Iraq War and later taming a herd of wild elephants before they had to be put down.
- How the EPA’s approved treatment for the BP oil spill created a more toxic problem than the spill
- How Barbara and others got a big oil company to take responsibility for a Nigerian oil spill, using a solution that got better and faster results than anyone could have imagined
- The at-sea accredited high school where teenagers can get fulfill their school requirements while learning to sail and gaining an understanding of how to be responsible for the environment.
- What people can do who want to improve and protect the environment that is effective and isn’t just a political or money-making ploy
Lawrence Anthony Earth Organization website
Get Lawrence Anthony’s books mentioned in the podcast
Lawrence Anthony Earth Organization Phone Number: (818) 330-9528
After a 25 year career in the newspaper industry in L.A. county where she rose to the position of Publisher for a group of 18 local papers, Judee transitioned to her current position as President and CEO of the Glendale Chamber of Commerce. It was supposed to be temporary, only 6 months, but 16 years later she still loves it and is doing tremendous good for Glendale businesses. Today you’ll hear about:
- How to go about successful relationship-building – a cornerstone for successful local businesses
- What the Glendale Chamber did to help bring down water bills for businesses
- Who you can turn to for business help in the Glendale area
- Ways that a local business can turn their involvement in a group like the Chamber into more business for their company
- How to find out whether you would like being part of the Chamber without having to join first
Glendale Chamber of Commerce Site
Glendale Chamber Events Calendar
Glendale Chamber Facebook Page
Glendale Chamber Phone Number: (818) 240-7870
Glendale Chamber Address: 701 N. Brand Blvd., Suite 120, Glendale CA 91203
A native Southern Californian, Bruce started as a writer and as a musician at an early age. After many years of writing and playing music, Bruce began on a second career path in writing marketing copy. Since then he has written hundreds and hundreds of articles, blog posts, video scripts, website copy and has done interviews with many famous people in the food and nutrition fields. His recognized results in this field come from a combination of his skills in writing and his knowledge of marketing. In today’s podcast he graciously shares some of his best tips in both areas. Today you’ll hear about:
- How an interview with Wolfgang Puck almost ended before it started
- Why Rod Serling of Twilight Zone fame was an inspiration in his writing
- Which teenage writer for Rolling Stone helped Bruce develop his skills as an interviewer
- The story about the low-talker and the leaf blower
- What someone who wants to be a writer must do and what books Bruce recommends about the subject