Van Gogh, Renoir, Rembrandt, Picasso, Dali – famous and classic fine artists. Andy Warhol, Normal Rockwell, Dr. Seuss – famous illustrators. What is the difference between fine art and illustration? What is the difference between illustration and graphic design? Illustrations and designs are all around you every day. Posters or signs on the street or in store windows. Covers of books. And then there is surface design which produces the patterns you see on plates and rugs and bedspreads. There are designed items all around you everyday and you probably never thought where they come from. In this episode, Sudi McCollum clarifies the differences and shares much more from her experience as a very successful illustration and graphic designer. Today we’ll get to hear about:
- How her brother’s suicide when she was 14 years old was the catalyst for becoming an artist.
- The basic differences between illustration and graphic design.
- The most important personality trait needed for someone to be successful in any of these fields?
- Why colors are different on something printed as compared to how you see them on your computer screen.
- What is surface design and how is that different than other types of design.
- What do you need to know first before going out to buy the tools of the trade.