In the news recently: home robberies in the area, when people were home. A new scam being used to try to get money from Glendale residents using the name of our local fire department. More sophisticated fraud. More daring home robbers. Should you get expensive home security systems? Should you avoid donating money to charities or buying anything online? The only way you’ll get taken advantage of is if you don’t know how the scammers and robbers operate, how to spot the warning signs or danger signals and how to protect yourself, your money and your belongings effectively. In this episode, Tom Lorenz from the City of Glendale gives the kind of advice that can help you protect yourself, your loved ones and your neighbors. Today we’ll get to hear about:
- What the latest local scam is and how to deal with it and others like it so you don’t get taken.
- The IRS, jury duty and other phone scams. Don’t get fooled by them.
- Actions to take and to not take to prevent fraud.
- Credit cards with chips and mobile device payment systems like Apple Pay – are they secure?.
- Knock Knock – what you should and shouldn’t do.
- The most effective security device is low tech – find out what it is.
- And what are good high tech tools for security.
- Other ways criminals try to take advantage of you and how to protect yourself.
Resources mentioned by Tom Lorenz in this Episode:
Glendale Police Department: (818) 548-4840
Los Angeles County Elder Abuse Hotline 1-877-4-R-SENIORS (1-877-477-3646)
Tips for Avoiding Financial Scams (PDF)
City of Glendale YouTube Channel
GTV6 – Glendale Cable Channel
Glendale City Connection